Saturday, February 17, 2007

A little wiki to save the day

I have been grappling with the wiki idea for a while. It seems really interesting and I could see many uses in both the middle school and high school level. Still unclear, was how it would help an elementary school. This week everything changed. Now I am actively involved in two wiki's at my school. The cause of this epiphany: Vacation. We have a week vacation. School is closed but upcoming deadlines don't change.
The first deadline involves a technology grant application. The school librarian and I began to ask questions. If we can't get the committee together over break how can we work on the grant? E-mail? Phone calls? Then the answer came. We set up a wiki at wikispaces, entered the grant information, e-mailed members the information and we are off and running. I can't wait to see the results of this online collaboration.
The second deadline is the upcoming Odyssey of the Mind competition. Seven students who need to meet and won't be able too. How frustrating. Then it dawned on me. Wow, another practical use of the wiki. I quickly set up a wiki for the team and had a short training session with them. They are very excited and some have begun already.
For me this vacation is acting as a testing period for wiki use. I am really looking forward to observing first hand how well the wiki works with elementary students. This is a great testing ground for future wiki projects in my elementary school.
Stay tuned for post vacation results.

2 comments:

scilit said...

Hello Mrs. Sullivan. You were courteous to leave a message on my blog http://teachissues.blogspot.com/. At first I thought you were a family member because my daughter married into a Sullivan family. I followed your username link to arrive at your blog. Are you taking an edtech course like I am? We seem to be following the same learning curve through various technologies and posting them on our blog. I hope you don't mind that I embedded 2 of the presentations -- Web 2.0 slideshow and the YouTube video about digital learners -- into my own blog to share with my fellow students. I then followed the link to your class news project, which I found to be a very creative way to to use technology with primary grade students. I will post a link to it in my course forum so others can see how other teachers are applying edtech. I have bookmarked your blog and will visit often. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.